Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 7, 2010

what you don't expect

Over the last 24 hours I have tried to gather my thoughts on how I wanted to go about this post...so here it goes.

The moment finally arrived and I was pregnant, 9 months flew by and I was a month out, going for my first "check" appointment at 36 weeks. The anticipation is there, something is going to have happened, something is going to be going on down there, right? My sister always goes early, that's probably genetic right? WRONG. The doc so kindly states no progression. I thought ok no worries, I'm fine, Sam needs to cook a little longer anyway. Another week passes, we go in, doc with sad eyes says "No change". I am sad but hey, that just means Sam is comfy. Next week, same routine, doc looks up, "no dilation" I think my response was "Nothing, still? What about effacement" I think the doc looks over at Paul then looks back at me, "maybe 50% but that's just a guess". As I got dressed, Paul so kindly says "You know he just told you that so you thought something was happening" Thanks honey, that helped, but once again I thought no worries, I feel good and Sam needs his lungs to develop even more. We go another week and I go for my 39 week appt. My doc is back from vacation and he asks "Had any contractions" I respond, "not really, maybe a few but they haven't hurt" Doc examines me and says "1/2 cm", I look up with tears welled up in my eyes "That's it? What about effacement" doc replies "about 50%, what they told you last week right?" "Yes" Doc leaves the room and it was like someone drugged me with hormones and emotions. I proceed to cry hysterically for the next few minutes. I had no idea why, I mean Sam's heart rate was good, my vitals were good, and I was about to have a baby, so could someone please tell me why I was crying? The doc returns and says, "lets go another week and then we will talk induction". I flood him with questions including some personal ones. "Do you think my body can deliver, is there something preventing him from dropping? Am I big down there? Can we still have sex" Mind you that I ask all of these with tears coming down my cheek and quivering voice. My doc says, "there is nothing to make me think you can't deliver, your body is fine, and for sex, I STRONGLY encourage you to do it and often" I mean did Paul pay him to say that? So after apologizing for crying and state that I am ok, not miserable at all, just having an emotional couple of days I get it together and we leave. I make it to the hallway before the tears come out again. I keep thinking to myself, WHY am I doing this, why am I so upset. Then it hit me, I was getting angry with my body, it was bringing back all the emotional side effects of infertility. I was mad that once again my body wasn't doing what God intended it to do, procreate. I mean I couldn't get pregnant b/c my body didn't do the norm and now, it looks like I can't deliver as I had prepared myself because once again, my body wasn't doing what it was supposed to. Ah maybe we found an answer or maybe I am almost 39 weeks pregnant and have hormones all over the place. Either way, I try to focus on the end result, a BABY, a wonderful indescribable gift that God gave us, and if I delivered via Csection, induction, or naturally, Paul and I would end up with a child. (So I kind of went astray so let me insert that Paul and I want to have a natural childbirth, meaning no pain meds, I have read ALOT of material as so has my mother and Paul to help us prepare, no I am not against pain meds, but I truly wanted to experience it all, especially since this might be our only time for me to have this experience, all that being said, when you want to go natural induction or csection is not what you want) So after figuring out why I was upset, I got it together. Over the next week I kicked up my walking, I had sex, I ate spicy food, I ate Italian food with basil and oregano, I drank raspberry leaf tea, all trying to kick start this labor process. My family was planning on coming in town this weekend b/c surely Sam would be here by then, Right? Needless to say I was a little stressed. I took off this week at work (started semi retirement) and Paul and I went for my last appointment, we guessed all morning about what we thought the doc would say, and well let's just say we were both WAY wrong. Doc came in and did his thing, and by the tone of his voice I knew there once again was no change. I tried to hold back the tears but the word "induction" was said and I lost it, AGAIN at the doctors office. I really really didn't want to be induced. I wanted it to happen the way God planned it to, but when I asked do you think Sam will come on his own, he looked down and then looked up "No". I was heartbroken. We talked about dates because I wanted to try to still help my family out but I didn't want to be induced with no progression really b/c I knew then I was really at risk for an unnecessary Csection, so we settled on Monday. This was to give my body a few more days to naturally progress before science intervenes and we go about it that route. My doc doesn't like to go way past due dates b/c he feels there is more harm than good a lot of time, so I trust him and his judgement and we are checking into the hospital Sunday night to be induced Monday morning. I cried for a good long time yesterday b/c I had to accept that the way I had planned or dreamed labor would happen isn't the way it's going to happen. The way I thought I would get pregnant, also didn't happen, but what I have come to realize and accept is that God doesn't make mistakes. He knows exactly when the perfect time for us to conceive and for us to become actual parents. He gives doctors this knowledge to use science in ways to help us overcome bodily challenges. And although I am sad that I most likely will not get to labor at home or get to call Paul and say my water is broken, Paul and I will be parents, and the latest that is going to happen is Monday, and I thank God everyday that He gave me this opportunity. Stay tuned for details and pics and THANK YOU for riding along this journey with me.

Much love,
Samantha

7 comments:

  1. Oh samantha...I feel your pain!! big hugs. I know exactly what you are talking about with the old feelings coming back when your body wasn't progressing like it should. I was at 1cm for FOREVER...every check until my 39 week checkup. I was still pressured so much that I agreed to an induction, and we still labored together for as long as I could take it. http://prayingforalittleone.blogspot.com/2009/08/birth-story.html
    But as I'm sure you know from your research, labor is much different with pitocin. You really need more time Samantha. I would call back to see if they would do a non-stress test to check on the baby on Monday and wait for an induction until 41 weeks. I know you are sooooooo wanting to meet your sweet baby, but please just think about giving yourself a few more days. Also, my absolute favorite book on labor is "the birth partner." If you haven't gotten a chance to read it, I think you should go look at it at a bookstore. so much wonderful info.

    As much as being infertile has made us feel like our bodies don't function...it isn't true! You just need more time. And you don't need pressure to be in labor by a certain date.

    "Remember this, for it is as true and true gets: Your body is not a lemon. You are not a machine. The Creator is not a careless mechanic. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body."
    — Ina May Gaskin (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth)

    One thing that I believe helped my progress was to sit on an exercise ball (birthing ball...same thing!). I just tried to keep my pelvis as open as possible for an entire week and did lots of careful squats--held on to my bathroom counter (make sure you have something to hold on to) to encourage baby to move down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to maybe give you some hope, but it means absolutely nothing that you're not dilated before going into labor. I've known plenty of women who had no progress and then BOOM went into labor and had their babies pretty quickly.

    And I would hold off on the induction as long as possible, but that's just me. Most first-time mothers go past their due dates when allowed to go into labor naturally. And I've heard that pitocin is a bitch and natural childbirth is almost impossible with it. Just be prepared to give that up if you're getting induced.

    It's your choice though and no matter what your decision I'll be thinking of you! Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about doing what you think is best for you.

    www.brandysheaif.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have followed your blog for a while - even before you got pregnant. I am a patient of Dr. Honea's at ART. Anyway, I want to share my story with you and maybe it will help you get through these last fews days a little easier and actually feel excited that your body is working and holding that sweet baby in. After a long struggle, I became pregnant with twins in December 2008 - everything was going beautifully - they were perfect and healthy in every way. Around 12 1/2 weeks I began bleeding badly - 2 big subchorionic hematomas. However, the babies seemed completely unaffected by them; they were still growing perfectly. My risk for preterm labor went up (not that it wasn't already up carrying twins) but nevertheless I was placed on bedrest and told that they would probably resolve by 20 weeks. I found out one was a boy at 17 weeks; the other wouldn't cooperate so I had to wait to find out what that one was. I was just so excited that they were doing do well. Well, I hit 19 weeks and my whole life changed. I will spare you the details but my water broke and I lost my 2 precious boys. I have been unable to get pregnant since.

    So what I am saying is be so very happy that your body is holding your sweet baby in. I have been given a 50% chance bringing home a baby ever and a 90% chance that that baby will not be full-term or even close. So be thankful that your body is doing what it should be doing, instead of what mine did. I would give anything to be as pregnant as you are now. That's not to downplay the fact that you are super ready and feeling very pregnant - definitely not. But each day that sweet baby of yours is in there is a blessing b/c he will be that much healthier when he gets on the outside.

    Congratulations to you. I know it's been a long, long road b/c like I said I have been following your blog. May God bless you and your husband and that sweet baby - can't wait to see the post when he gets here.

    God bless,
    Johanna Sims

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah! so fun that it's soon!! i'm hoping you are more and more encouraged each day. we had to do the spend the night thing on a sunday with wells and induce on monday when i was 41 weeks. i was still nothing. i am convinced he would have cooked for another year!!! it was worth it ALL and I was very thankful in the end. You will be too! And hey...you will be there with Christine! She is going in monday! :) Good luck and God Bless!! His ways are way better than ours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam,
    You and I both know I didn't have to go through any of this and my baby popped out faster than I could sneeze but don't let mine or anyone else discourage you. We are all here to support you and welcome Baby Sam into this world with open loving arms! If you continue with the induction on Monday, I will be there to capture it all and give you something to look back on to remember (because you will forget) and just in case this is your only time, you will at least have it documented (non-graphic of course). I can't wait to see Baby Sam make his grand entrance into the world and your arms! All my love and prayers. Liv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam, don't feel like your body is failing you! There are LOTS of people (including me, as you know) who have to be induced for one reason or another. If you were given more time, I am certain that you would go into labor on your own. And if you feel that strongly about it, you can certainly request a few more days before you are induced. Of course, you also have to listen to what your doctor thinks is best, as you said. I know you are tired and so ready for Sam to be here! And once he is here it will not matter which way he entered this world! You are so blessed to be having a healthy baby, and I will keep praying for you because I know how emotional these last few days are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl....I hope my previous comment wasn't too much :). I get a little passionate when it comes to inductions...sorry!! I want to thank you for being so honest with your feelings. I've been thinking about your post since I first read it, and I now understand some of my own feelings about labor and how they are/were connected to infertility. I really appreciate you posting your thoughts!!

    Praying for a safe and happy delivery!!

    ReplyDelete

 

yasmin lawsuit