Bare with me, this is long winded...
Last week was rough around the Ebert house. It started off a week and a half ago with 2 shots at Sam's 15 month appointment. He did really well and the Doc told me that he may spike a fever 7-10 days after the shots. Well two days later Sam sneezed probably 50 times but it was only clear so I figured it was allergies. The next day there was just clear snot and by that night I was doing the same thing, I figured it was this hot cold weather making our allergies go crazy. Monday came and he slept in but acted fine once he woke up. Monday afternoon however was a different subject. He woke up with a fever from his nap and so I decided to skip a play date that I was having with my friend Ashley who just had baby number two. I went to pick up dinner for them since Sam nor I were feeling 100%. While on our way to her house, Sam threw up ALL OVER himself, car seat, mirror, back of the seat, etc. I felt so bad for the little guy. I then decided that maybe his molars or the shot was causing the fever. He ran a fever off and on Tuesday and with the help of Tylenol his fever would go down. I didn't call the doctor because she said a fever could happen and even though it was a few days early, I figured (being a first time mom) that it was probably just the shot or his teeth. By Wednesday night Sam was no longer eating or drinking and his fever was climbing to 103. I decided hmm this isn't good. I call the after hours line and basically they said wait until morning as long as he is wetting a diaper at least 1 every 8 hours he isn't dehydrated. I was scared to death for my little man by this point and even woke up (and Paul) to give him medicine to keep his fever from escalating over night. Thursday we went to the doctor to find out he had two really bad ear infections. Now let me tell you, I felt like Mom of the year right then because I should have taken him on Tuesday but I didn't know any better I figured it was his teeth or that shot. So lesson learned, shots fever should not last more than 24 hours and next time I will pay a copay verses let my little man be sick 3 days before taking him to the doctor. All that being said, Sam is on the mend almost back to normal and I am still fighting this cold but hopefully will be fully recovered by the end of the week.
Ok so most of you are wondering how that story has anything to do with the title of this post and here is the connection. Everyone says Sam is a spitting image of Paul, and though I can't disagree by looking at Paul's baby pictures there are a few things in which he is like myself as well. My son is not a snuggler, but I got lots of snuggle time last week. While fighting sleep or trying to go to sleep he rubs his feet on the bed. He also does it while sitting in his high chair or sometimes in his car seat. I do that as well and I am actually doing it as I type this :). Some other random things I want to document are that Sam loves to sleep on his belly (as do I) and he tucks his hands under his belly. When he falls asleep on me sometimes he will reach his hand down my shirt and rest his hand on my bare chest, almost like he is longing for some skin to skin contact. He rubs his nose when he is sleepy and has just become semi attached to one of his blankies (blue bamboo), my baby blanket is next to my bed in my nightstand. I slept with me until Paul and I got married almost 7 years ago (hopefully Sam won't be that attached).
Another interesting fact, is that Sam only had one ear infection his first year of life. It was in one ear and he was 6 1/2 months old. Since I stopped nursing him at 11.5 months he is gotten 3 double ear infections (so 3 in about 3 1/2 months). Thankfully his ears have always been clear after one round of antibiotics but I am curious, have any of you experienced this? Is it just the season/weather? He was in preschool two days a week starting mid August and didn't get his first infection until mid October. I stopped nursing him last week in September. I had terrible ear infections as a child but mine started at birth, and yes I said birth. I would love to hear any one's thoughts on this subject.
Ok that is all my ramblings for now.
Have a great week,
Samantha
3 years ago



Samantha... we are experiencing the same sort of thing. I stopped breastfeeding them when they were around 11 months old and no sickness... I thought we were in the clear, until they were 14 months old and started MDO... They are both sick again and Lucy has her second double ear infection in 1 month! yes... ONE MONTH! NO FUN! I wish I could have breastfed them forever... not really... but you know what I mean! ha! I think that we are doing a good thing for them, though. Keeping them in a program to rev up their immune systems and when they get to Kindergarten, they will have built up a ton of immunities! Don't beat yourself up! There is no way you could have known! I hope you are feeling well otherwise and Sam is on the mend!
ReplyDelete