Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wifey Wednesday

So I am going to try and do a weekly post on what I have tried to do as a wife in the previous week. It might not always be wonderful and some weeks I will share my faults as a wife (I know there are plenty of those weeks to come) but my plan is to hold myself accountable as I work on being a better wife to my husband. So here it goes...

There are weeks in our lives when we are on the go 24-7. I tote Sam around with me all over town and work at home until everything is done for the evening...then I rest. My husband on the other hand does not work every second of the day until it's all done. He prefers to take little mini breaks to unwind for a few minutes then get started back up. In our 5 1/2 years of marriage, this is something I have had to work on accepting. This weekend was hard to do that though. With family and friends coming to our house after Sam's dedication, I was a busy beaver all week and weekend getting ready to host 15 people for brunch. My spouse wasn't quite on the same page as I was and that led me to become ill and frustrated, but I had too much to do to sit down and talk it over with my spouse. Normally I would have gotten so upset that I would have finally just burst in front of whomever and embarrass myself and husband. I vowed to be different this weekend. Now I wasn't perfect, I did talk about him behind his back to my Mom and sister, and that was not cool nor did he totally deserve it (He works really hard to provide for Sam and I all week long and I don't give him enough credit in that department) but I did hold true to working on my marriage, I didn't raise my voice or even lecture as I sometimes tend to do, I simply realized none of those things would change the past or make my spouse understand my frustrations, so this is what I did. After everyone left my house on Sunday afternoon, I calmly told him that I wasn't going to lecture or yell (he knew I was mad) but I was simply letting him know that his inaction upset me and that I was sorry because I had spoken of my frustration to my family and that was it...we did talk for a minute or two but there were no arguments or octave level changes. I feel like he knew what he did was wrong and that was all I needed him to know. Two days later I put sticky notes around the house that stated reasons why I loved him (generous wife tip) and ironically enough it was also the same day I received a bouquet of flowers. So moral of the story wives, is think about what you are about to say or do and see if it's worth arguing over or if a simple acknowledgement that you are upset will achieve the same goal...In my example it did (at least this time).

Here's to strengthening marriages one day at a time.
Much love,
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin lawsuit